July 9, 2015
If you work with computers and computer files on a regular basis, the most important thing you can do is backup your files. The odds are that at some point you will experience a hard drive crash or a virus/malware infection that could possibly destroy all of your files.
This tip is unique in that, we are not going to talk about how to backup your files, instead we will be discussing how to prepare for a successful backup. These tips will make your backup thorough, complete, and trouble free.
David's 5 Tips for Preparing for a Successful Backup
1. Before you start a backup, you need to clean up your file folders.
2. Make a backup of all of your Browser Bookmarks.
3. make sure all of your files are located in a specific location.
4. Determine the size of your files.
5. Determine your backup medium.
- If you don't know how to backup files, find a youtube video, instructional web page, ask a friend or pay someone to set up and show you how. It's that important!
- Even if you work in an environment that does backups, make your own! Remember, it is your data, you are responsible for it, and you will be the one crying if everything is lost!
- Test your backups. A backup isn't any good if you can't use it.
- Periodically review your backup policies. You might need/want to tweak them. Update your bookmark backups, etc. You might have old files that can be archived on CD/DVD and deleted from the hard drive.
Great advice to take to heart!
So what are you waiting for?
Time to prepare for that backup!